Monday, April 26, 2010

Triple Dipping

I saw the DVD/Blu-ray sales and Avatar has sold 6.5 million copies combined. It's the fastest selling DVD title and the fastest Blu-ray disc seller next to the Dark Knight. This makes it the highest selling DVD title of the year behind Twilight: New Moon. I expect nothing less from the highest grossing movie of all time. I do have some concerns though.

Some people are suckers though. I talked with some friends who brought the Avatar. Half of them didn't even know there were any special features on it, and they love special features. It sucks that when I buy a movie and there are no special features on it. It's fucking DVD and not damn VHS. Give me something and not the barebones. This version of Avatar is the barebones version with nothing, but the film on it. The DVD is cheaper than the Blu-ray, but you are a fool if you have a Blu-ray player and not get Avatar on Blu-ray.

The point is if I'm paying 20 something dollars for the Avatar Blu-ray, then I want to behind the scenes look at the film. This film has the best visual effects I have ever seen, so I want to know how they made this film. I want more depth into the film with director's commentary because I can always learn more about the film.

Nevertheless, FOX is releasing this film again in November with the bonus features and everything. This is called double dipping. It's when the studio releases one DVD version and then comes out another version with more special content. I am getting is the November version. Then, they are releasing a 3-D version early next year. So, technically FOX is triple dipping.

I really hate when studios do this, but this is a business. However, this practice pisses off fans (it pissed me off). Thank God I have the internet to read reviews of DVD's.

No comments:

Post a Comment