Tuesday, April 13, 2010

OK, you &^%$@, let's see what you can do now!

Kick-Ass is turning out to be this year's Zombieland, which is something I was hoping Repo Men to be (but failed miserably). This movie sneaked up on me and didn't even know of its existence until a couple months ago. Well it comes out this Friday, and I am excited as hell. Along with Death at a Funeral this should be a good movie weekend.

The basic summary of Kick-Ass is about Dave Lizewski, who is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan with a few friends and who lives alone with his father. His life is not very difficult and his personal trials not that overwhelming. However, one day he makes the simple decision to become a super-hero even though he has no powers or training. He is joined by other superheos like Bigg Daddy, Red Mist, and Hit-Girl, and together they try to take down a mob boss.

So far, Kick-Ass is getting generally good reviews, which around the 70's on Rotten Tomatoes. However, some braindead critics and uptight parents are complaining about the character of Hit-Girl. Hit-Girl is a 11 year old superhero, who fights his her father (Nicolas Cage). The character is played by Chole Grace Moretz, who at one point in the movie says, "OK, you cunts, let's see what you can do now!" This combined with the level of violence plus the fact she was only 11 years old at the time of parents really pissed some parents and critics off. Australian Family Association spokesman John Morrissey claimed that "the language [was] offensive and the values inappropriate – without the saving grace of the bloodless victory of traditional superheroes."

All I have to say to these guys is just shut the hell up...please! This is movie is rated R and that line was in the red band trailer, and not in the regular trailer. If it offends you that's fine (I can see why). It's just a movie and obviously not in your demographic, so just don't watch it. However, this is good for the film as all these uptight critics and reserved parents are just stiring up controversy for the film. The last time I checked controversy equals big bucks at the box office. The film's production is $ 28 million and it has already made at least half of that. Of course the film hasn't been released in the United States yet.

So I'm going to totally see this movie as soon as I can. I was hoping to get free tix to see this, but the film never came to my city (that sucks). Well, I did get passes to see Death at a Funeral tomorrow. I will try to write that review as soon as I can. I will also try to write Kick-Ass review soon too. I should be focusing on my paper, but hey I get distracted a lot. Hmm...I think i'll got eat something now.

No comments:

Post a Comment